Dental implants are a common treatment for the replacement of missing teeth in adults and are also used to stabilize dentures for comfort and function. If you want your dental implants to last for decades, you need to take care of them, starting with the day you receive them. For the health and comfort of your mouth and dentures, it’s necessary to keep implants clean and free of destructive bacteria and plaque.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are medical devices surgically implanted into the jaw. They’re used to provide support for artificial teeth, such as crowns, bridges and dentures. Essentially, they function as artificial roots; made of titanium metal, inserted into the jawbone, then attached to a replacement tooth of some type. Dental implantation surgery requires post-operative care so that bone heals tightly around the implant, ensuring that your mouth remains healthy and your dentures hold firm.
Who can get dental implants?
To be an acceptable candidate for dental implants, you need to be in good general health, have healthy gums and enough bone in your jaw to hold an implant. You must also be committed to good oral hygiene and regular dental visits. If you’re healthy enough for a routine extraction or oral surgery, you can be considered for dental implants. Smokers, people with chronic disorders (diabetes, heart disease) and individuals who have undergone radiation therapy to the head or neck need to be evaluated on an individual basis. Your denturist can help you determine if implants are right for you.
Continuing care of implants:
The success of your dental implants depends upon their long-term care. Keep your mouth as clean as possible.
- How to care for a Fixed Denture or fixed Full Arch Zirconia over implants:
- Brush twice daily with a soft nylon brush
- Use low abrasive toothpaste
- Use a nylon coated interdental brush to clean hard-to-reach places
- Use a recommended oral irrigator on slow speed for cleaning under the bridge/denture
- Rinse daily with non-alcoholic mouth rinse
- Visit your denturist every 6 months for professional cleaning
- If you suffer from teeth grinding, seek treatment from your denturist
- How to care for Implant Overdentures that are removable/Snap-on Dentures:
- Remove denture daily and soak in denture cleaner for recommended time
- Inspect attachment caps/clips and alert your denturist if worn or missing
- Gently brush the underside of the denture with a denture brush
- Rinse overdenture thoroughly with water before placing it into your mouth
- Clean around implant attachments/locators using a small brush or special tools provided to you by your denturist
- Visit your denturist every 6 months
Dental implants present some unique cleaning challenges! But, with proper care and regular visits to the denturist, your dental implants can last a lifetime. Communicate openly with your denturist and do not hesitate to contact them with questions.
South Calgary Denture and Implant Clinic enhances your oral health, aesthetics, and way of life. We deliver the best possible treatment after taking the time and care to understand your needs. Our commitment to you is to provide a fast, efficient, and courteous service, with direct billing offered to most insurance providers. We love what we do. It’s who we are! Call us to schedule an appointment.